Wednesday, April 7, 2010

We're not in Kansas anymore!

Unexpected trip..........

In March, with April and spring break quickly approaching, Clint and I kept looking at this cute little birthday invite from the Ogles for our grandson's first birthday. (see reagan and matt's blog) We knew the other inlaws were going so didn't want to impose, but we kept feeling like we had to see that cute baby boy!
So we suddenly decided to drive the the whole family to Kansas and surprise Reagan and Matt before the festivites! We figured if we stayed at a hotel and left after the party that we would not be crowding anyone. So we were OFF TO SEE THE WIZARD! Kansas here we come!
That's two and a half days of driving to get to Kansas from Boise. 3 days there and 2 and a half back!

(Picture an old swaying motor home here or a station wagon with wood side panels.)

SURPRISE! IT'S THE IN LAWS AND ALL THEIR KIDS!
Now doesn't that sound scarey?

Sounds sort of like a Chevy Chase Vacation movie right?
Well, because all of our cars are very used we actually rented a pretty nice suv to get us there!



So... we sent Kanon to the door by himself and stayed in the car. He knocked on the door and asked if Preston could play! Yes! Reagan was so confused, unsuspecting, and surprised! She started laughing when she realized that Kanon was not in Kansas by himself!




Highlights were Preston, Preston and Preston. He was soo excited to suddenly have a houseful of people to perform for. Reagan has taught him how to march "hup two three four" and stop "atten hut" and my favorite....go in reverse "beep beep beep beep". He loves water, soft blankets, picking up sticks, books, lap sitting, walking outside, carrying a ball, wrestling his dad and Kanon......etc he is just a fun, smiley, and social boy.

The birthday party made me realize that I have come full circle. It is a nostalgic feeling watching your sweet daughter put together and decorate a cake that is for her own first child. Ah... the memories! Since it was a buckaroo cowboy party Reagan made a very cute cactus cake. I was proud of her for it. Besides both sets of grand parents, a bunch of matt, reagan, and prestons friends came as well. What a fun party! All the miles and days in the car were so worth it.

YUMMMMMM! CACTUS CAKE!

Matt was so great and acted happy to see us and was great fun when he was around. He is working hard on his studies and could have been stressed out, but if he was he didn't let us know....he was kind, hilarious, and entertaining to us the whole time. Reagan was sweet as pie and let us help her get her place ready for company. Some of us helped her paint her bathroom orange! (it is so cool) and the rest of us helped with food, light cleaning, and distracting Preston. Aunt Spencer especially liked to hold and rock him before nap time. She was in charge of the excited squirmy preston at the pool. Pyper was smitten and could barely stand to put him down. Kanon, Poppi and Grammi are all equally smitten by that cute little (actually big! he wears 24 month clothes) curly blonde haired boy.
Happy First Birthday Preston! We love you!

Thanks Reagan and Matt for letting us surprise you!
(Haha! May be they will think again before inviting us to their parties.....because....we just might come!)

7 comments:

Tyler and Carisa said...

I am seriously so jealous right now!! I wanna go to Kansas!

Taylor said...

ME TOO! JEALOUS JEALOUS JEALOUS!
The youngers are such good little children! I'm so glad you had them.

PS. Kanon AND Preston look huge!
AND REAGAN LOOKS ITTY.


I promise I'll blog soon!

Reagan said...

Never thought you'd be so excited at the thought of coming to Kansas did you? Thanks for coming family, it was a lot of fun to have you here!

Shaylee said...

Oh my word. I love this surprise! What a cute little cowboy that Preston is.

P.S.
Kanon is enormous! How tall is he now?!

Gordon & Julie Bird Blog said...

What a beautiful family you have! I am so happy that you were able to share birthday #1 with Preston. Looks like a great and memorable family trip.
Kanon & Pyer are getting sooooo big!

Clint and Kandi said...

hmmm I think Kanon is 5' 8" ?

The Mower Family said...

I LOVE this story!!!! I LOVE surprises! Ohhh! He is 1 already! I hope we get to see him before he is 2!

Kanon - 5'8" WHAT?!!!